impermanence pangs

A friend of mine came up with the term Impermanence Pangs to describe the uneasiness of being aware of something that you know won't last - a relationship, a great date with a person soon to leave town permanently, or a few moments with a cat that's about to be adopted.  While I think that accepting (and somehow finding happiness in) the general impermanence of life is one of the coolest ways to live however many years we have left, I can see where she's coming from.  I mean, I'm not anywhere near the whole "be happy with or without" idea, but I aim towards it every day.   Today, there's this blazer, for example.  I wore it to a show once and got a few compliments on it, which was nice, but then I hung it up and immediately forgot about it for two years.  Then I found it again, wore it again, and back in the closet it went. In other words, I don't care about it, one way or another. Impermanence Pangs hit me when I fear losing something irreplaceable, but ultimately, let's be real: every feeling is replaceable, every memory foreshadows an even greater one, and every day is a new way to find irrevocable elation.

No comments