is that hummus in your title or are you just happy to have made hummus?

One of the most gratifying moments of this entire raw food experience was the first time I successfully dehydrated something. It was this batch of flax seed crackers (a mix of raw tamari and soaked dark and light seeds), and it felt very much like Christmas, waking up in the morning to find a perfectly dry, flat bunch of treats waiting for me in the mesh trays.  The second most gratifying moment was making something I actually really like: zucchini hummus.  It tastes better than the packaged (and often processed) hummus you find at the store, and is really easy to make - just blend 1 cup of zucchini with 1/4 cup lemon juice, 2 tbsp olive oil, 3 cloves of garlic, 1 tsp sea salt, 1/2 tsp paprika, 1/2 tsp cumin, and pinch of cayenne pepper.  When it looks like it can't take it anymore (and is well blended), add 1/2 cup of raw tahini paste, and blend until it's well mixed.  Transfer to a bowl and mix in some parsley if you're into that sort of thing (2 teaspoons if you're gonna go for it).  You can also take things to the next level with some za'atar seasoning and pine nuts, but za'atar kinda freaks me out and sounds too much like Atari so I skipped it.  Anyway, I'll definitely be making my own hummus from now on and would strongly recommend everyone else do the same. Or don't. But do, though. 

No comments